I am sorry it has been days since I posted. I live in North Carolina so all this hurricane stuff has gotten in way. Then I had a in lab sleep study Monday night.
I want to talk about an article posted on Facebook that I read about High-Functioning Anxiety. I have been diagnosed as having HFA (to many words to type). The article is called 18 consequences of High-Functioning Anxiety. I will post the link, but I want to talk about these 18 things.
- You exhaust your mental power needlessly- I was working a office job were I was going a lot of interacting with people. I answered phones and had to make a lot of calls as well. One day I saw my psychiatrist and was telling how exhausted I was at the end of the day. I couldn’t figure out why I was so tired. What he said is by far the smartest thing he had ever said to me. Your brain is like a computer. When it is overloaded it will start to shut itself down. My mind was trying to function at 100% and deal with my social anxiety.
- Constructive criticism slays you- Now nobody likes criticism, but when you already have anxiety it is way worse. No matter how nicely someone says it I will take it as a knife to the heart. If someone points out I did something wrong my full focus from that point on when doing that task will be to do that one thing right. I will lay awake at night thinking about it for days. Every time I see that person I will like I have let them down when most of the time they don’t even remember the conversation.
- The future terrifies you – If I let myself think about the future I will send myself down a labyrinth of fear and self doubt that will give me sleepless nights. People say don’t worry about the future or the past. How? If you know the secret to making these thoughts stop please let me know. Those are the two things that I worry about the most.
- You experience debilitating mental exhaustion- They already touched on this one a little. No I don’t know about you, but I spend a lot of my off hours “resting”. I told one of the ladies at work when she asked what my plans for the weekend were that since I spend 40 hrs a week dealing with people on the weekends I just don’t want to be around people. I spend so much mental energy at work talking to my coworkers and the patients that come. I am the face of the office sitting at the front desk. That is not easy.
- You can’t have a social life – Nope. I hear all the time about how I need to start dating. You are pretty and have a great personality it will be easy to find a husband. I have enough of my own stuff to deal with. Putting all my metal energy into work for 8 hrs I don’t want to come home and have to put more into another person.
- You suffer from sleep disruptions – As I mentioned at the top I just did a sleep lab to find out why I don’t sleep. Well this might be at least one of the reasons. I have trouble falling asleep. I wake up in the middle of the night several times and have trouble falling back to sleep. Sometimes I don’t fall back to sleep. When you lay awake at night it gives you a lot of time to think of all the stuff you are worried about. To be continued.. https://self-made.io/18-consequences-of-high-functioning-anxiety/5819/